Thursday, March 24, 2011

Let the Editing Begin!

It has been three days since we returned from Belize. Many of us are missing the amazing tropical weather, as our welcome to the United States was a cold (and now snowy!) one.  Many of us are getting back into the swing of the rest of this semester.

Since returning many of us have reflected on the amazing people we met. Linda Thornton is a remarkable individual who has touched each of us in many ways.

Who knew someone else's life story, passion and vision for the future could open our eyes to the idea that anything is possible? She has overcome so many odds, leaped each hurdle thrown her way and still stands strong -- an image we wish to show you in the upcoming documentary.

Today we laid out a rough sketch of our documentary’s timeline on a six-foot-long sheet of white paper. We are starting to brainstorm approaches to the opening and closing scenes.

One of our classmates gathered everyone's availability for editing and the schedule is close to being posted in our Avid room.  In this post-production process, we are transcribing remaining interviews before we start capturing the rest of the footage on the computer and organizing shots and sections into bins.



Many of us have carried the warmth of the Belizean people back with us. As our journey continues the students and professors had remarkable comments about their experience filming this documentary, learning about shrimp farming and experiencing the Belizean lifestyle.

Dr. Maria Luskay: “This was truly a great experience.  I’m so proud of my students and the work that they have accomplished.  Linda Thornton is a great woman whose story needs to be told.  I look so forward to another award winning documentary. “

Professor Andrew Revkin:  “I've met a lot of amazing people overcoming long odds using wile, endurance, creativity and other traits. There are a few standouts, such as Sister Michael Mary Nolan, an American nun who worked with slum kids during Brazil's dictatorship but became a prosecuting lawyer after seeing the police murder one child after the other. Linda Thornton, with both grit and humor and endless optimism, is right up at the top of the heap.”

Yilan Wang:  “I think I really learned a lot from this experience.  I learned shooting, logging and transcribing techniques of which are vital in the production industry.  I made new friends and maybe next time I will not be as shy.  I’ll always remember Belize.”

Pedro Rivera:  “Belize was a great experience.  It gave the entire crew and I a chance to see a different side of the world that many people do not get a chance to see.  Linda Thornton was by far one of the most interesting people I have come to meet.  I’m enjoying the opportunity to be more of a leader on this trip and we are looking forward to finishing this project.”

Lauren Ostrofsky: “Going to Belize consisted of many surprises and opportunities that I never anticipated. Getting to live inside the footsteps of an amazing woman who has gone through many twists and turns and never gave up is inspirational. This trip can only be described as one in a million. I will never forget what I have learned. Belize is a jewel the world has in its own right – from the landscape and exotic blue-green water, to the Mayan dances and museum, Placencia and Carrie Bow Caye, words can’t describe this experience and saying “thank you” is never enough. Regardless, Thank you Linda, my fellow classmates, Andy and Dr. Luskay for letting me experience Belize with you and creating what will be an extraordinary documentary film.”

Martin Totland:  "Filming on location taught me so much about the filmmaking process, like what's going to be necessary for the editing process and how to get the best shots.  And as far as location goes, it doesn't get much better than Belize."

Alexandra Frye: “Going to Belize and getting to know Linda Thornton was truly a once in a lifetime opportunity.  The country is absolutely gorgeous and Linda is truly an amazing woman.  We’ve all learned so much from this trip, and I hope to return one day.”

Harrison C. Davies:  "I feel like we already have so much more material to work with and go through than we did last year, thanks to some crew discussions on location, we really have a nice starting outline, and of course we have great correspondents from Linda, who without a doubt will carry our story."

Emily Tuczinski:  “The journey to Belize has impacted my life in many positive ways.  Witnessing the poverty, especially within the rural areas, was a reminder of how fortunate we are to even participate in a travel documentary course.  The Belizean people were so warm and willing to help us everywhere we went.  Even the orange truck driver who stopped for us on the side of the road made a lasting impression.  I’ve learned so much about filming and the fellow students I work with are incredibly talented.  I have faith that we will be able to produce a dynamic piece of work.”

Molly Forman:  “Trying to capture the life of such a remarkable woman in three afternoons was no easy task.  Though it wasn’t easy, it was one of the best weeks in my life.  Learning about a proactive woman pioneer while surrounded by the beauty of Belize was certainly awe-inspiring.”

Zachary Dalva:  “This is an exciting time for us as we will edit an incredible documentary.”

Yan Zhang:  “This was a once in a lifetime experience!  It liberates my mind, body and soul.  And I’m pleasantly surprised that I met my fellow Chinese at different places at Belize.  This documentary will definitely change my life.”

Megan Katuran:  “Belize was a completely new experience.  You do all this research and get an idea in your head, but when we got to the actual shrimp farms I was blown away.  Linda Thornton was one of the most influential women I have ever met.  I can’t wait to make a documentary that captures her essence. “ 

No comments:

Post a Comment